Today, the ATM is regarded as a convenience that, before its England debut in 1967, would have been considered inconceivable to the common consumer.
Five decades later, the ATM of the connected economy has mobile-like interactions, embedded video capabilities, and the power to deliver more intelligent and interactive experiences. NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR) celebrates how far the ATM industry has come, and the evolution of the technology that remains at the centre of banks’ efforts to reinvent the retail experience and transform their branches.
“What started as a simple cash transaction device is now an indispensable platform that helps banks transform the branch and physical channel experience,” said Bill Nuti, Chairman & CEO, NCR Corporation. “Today, thanks to the efforts of NCR and the industry as a whole, the ATM has become a bridge – a means to blend digital and physical channels and create connected experiences for consumers, and an invaluable tool advancing financial inclusion and opportunity around the world.”
In its long history of innovation, here are just a few key moments in time that NCR celebrates today:
- 1967 – Barclays in London installs the world’s first ATM on June 27, 1967
- 1969 – America’s first ATM makes its public debut in Rockville Center, N.Y.
- 1977 – NCR launches its first ATM, the Model 770, a revolutionary self-service terminal
- The 1980s – NCR introduces the NCR 1780, its drive-up ATM, in Baton Rouge, La.
- 1998 – NCR installs an ATM at McMurdo Station in Antarctica, the world’s loneliest ATM
- 2000 – Global ATM installs reach 1 million
- 2014 – NCR now has ATMs in more than 120 countries
- 2015 – NCR launches Kalpana™, an enterprise software platform that moves ATM software and operations to the cloud
- 2017 – NCR launches the NCR SelfServ 80 Series, a mobile-ready ATM built to redefine the banking experience
- 2017 – NCR Chairman & CEO Bill Nuti awarded the ATM Industry Association’s Lifetime Global Innovation Award in London